Development and releaseEdit
A demo was released on September 15th, 2012, and pre-orders were made available on the same day. The game was released on December 1st, 2012. Several trailers were made to promote the game's release and it's Steam Community Greenlight.
- "Susan is just a person next door, the kind of neighbour we never pay much attention to because they keep to themselves. We all know people like that. We just assume they like their privacy and have their own set of friends they like to hang out with… but in fact, they have no one.
She’s very lonely, but she thinks she likes it like this. Or even thinks she deserves to be lonely. She made a mistake in her life and now she’s paying for it."
- — Remigiusz Michalski, interview
Susan crosses path with a young woman called Mitzi Hunt. Mitzi is on a mission of her own, and Susan becomes a part of Mitzi's mission of taking revenge on the man who encouraged her boyfriend to commit suicide.
The game is plot-heavy, and motion takes place in a side-scroller mode. Options to interact with objects pop up when Susan approaches them. An inventory bar at the bottom of the screen displays the objects in Susan's inventory. Dialogue trees appear in certain conversations, allowing the player to choose the direction of the conversation.
Certain options allow the player to "style" Susan's background and character to their taste, while some options have an impact on the ending the player receives.
There are five choices that influence the game ending the player gets.
See Achievements for a list of achievements available in the game.
List of voice actors and actressesEdit
- Lynsey Frost as Susan Ashworth
- Brittany Morgan Williams as Mitzi Hunt
- Klemens Koehring as Doctor X and Eric Ashworth
- Emily Wilden as Liz
- Jesse Stewart as Ann Burton
- David Firth as Pest Control Man and Gladys, his wife
- Jesse Gunn as Joe Davis
- Margaret Cowen as the Queen of Maggots
- Alex Sinclair as Doctor and Adam's father
- Dave Seaman as Jesse
- Bryarly Bishop as Pauline
- Pete Bucknall as Bryan
- Jodyanne Richardson as The Dog Lady
- Marianne Miller as Nurse
- Mark Lovegrove as Police Phone Operator
- Remiguisz Micalski as Crow / Ivy Davis (called "Joe's dead wife" in credits)
- Dave Masterson as Hangman
- Rob McManus as Susan's unnamed lover
- Miranda Evans as Rita Tickle
- Simon Loveridge as Security Guy (misspelled "Sucurity Guy" in credits)
- Noran Kojan as Tied-Up Girl 
The game's soundtrack is available as a CD album from the official website, featuring music by Warmer, Josiah "5iah" Orsie, Tears Of Mars, and Michal Michalski. Additional music tracks were composed by Richard Henley and Pal Hjornevik.
Sound clips used in the game were taken from various internet sources, including freesound.org The offical Cat Lady video game soundtrack has a total of 12 songs used in each chapter. The CD Soundtrack includes:
1. Space Cowboy Blues (Used in debut trailer)
2. The Noises She Makes In Their Bed (Main Menu)
4. Storytelling (Chapter 5)
6. In My Head It's Like Hell (Chapter 3 during Susan's breakdown)
8. Two Stone Rings (Chapter 3)
9. Good Lord Knows That I'm Greedy (Chapter 4)
10. What's The Whole World (Chapter 5)
11. Forever (Used in End Credits)
12. Sojourn (Used in the release trailer)
The Cat Lady has an 8/10 ranking on Gamespot and an 81/100 Metascore on Metacritic.org, with a 8.4/10 user score.
The game won "Best Story" at the 2012 Aggie Awards, hosted by Adventure Gamers and Innovation, Indie Adventure of 2012 and Best Game Environment .
The game also won "Adventure of the Year" from the editors of Adventure-Treff, a German gaming website. It also received 6 nominations in the Adventure Game Studio awards for 2012.
- ↑ Harvester Games- The Cat Lady. Retrieved on 2014 February 11.
- ↑ The Cat Lady Adventure Game Studio. Retrieved on 2014 April 1.
- ↑ "Big night tonight: the demo is officially out" Facebook. Retrieved on 2014 April 1.
- ↑ "The Cat Lady is OUT!!!" (01 December 2012) Facebook. Retrieved on 2014 April 1.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 INTERVIEW – In Conversation With Remigiusz Michalski (Harvester Games, The Cat Lady) (12 July 2013) Alternative Magazine Online. Retrieved on 2014 February 11.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Game closing credits.
- ↑ Official website: Music from the game The Cat Lady official website. Retrieved on 2014 February 11.
- ↑ Kevin VanOrd. The Cat Lady Review GameSpot. Retrieved on 2014 February 11.
- ↑ AG Staff (20 February 2013). 2012 Aggie Awards FEATURE Adventure Gamers. Retrieved on 2014 February 11.
- ↑ Adventure des Jahres 2012: Ergebnisse der Redaktion Adventure Treff website. Retrieved on 2014 February 12.
| The Cat Lady — Content navigation|
|List of chapters|
|Prologue|| Chapter 1|
"House in the Woods"
| Chapter 2|
"Second First Breath"
| Chapter 3|
| Chapter 4|
"Bullet for Susan"
| Chapter 5|
"Some Flowers Never Bend Towards the Sun"
| Chapter 6|
"The Legend of Cat Widow"
| Chapter 7|
"Don't Feed the Troll"